A Maangchi Recipe
This is it if anyone wants to visit her cooking website: https://www.maangchi.com/
I’ve come to find this to be my favourite chicken recipe.
The sauce is so delicious with the chicken being super crunchy on the outside but moist on the inside.
It comes out finger-licking good every time!!
- 1.5 kg chicken wings *I included other parts of the chicken as well*
- 1 tbspn ginger paste
- 1 tspn pepper
- 1/2 tbspn salt
- 2/3 cup cornflour
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Dried red chilli peppers *if you want it to be spicy*
- 60 ml soy sauce
- 100 ml honey *it depends on your sweet tooth 😉 add less if you don’t want it to be too sweet*
- 1 tbspn white vinegar
- 1 tbspn brown sugar *I use normal white sugar*
- Sesame seeds
- Marinate your chicken with the garlic paste, pepper and salt. You can leave it for about 30 minutes or more, even overnight.
- Heat your vegetable oil for deep frying. In the meanwhile, coat the marinated chicken with the cornflour. Make sure you press the chicken pieces to make the cornflour stick to the skin well.
- Deep fry the chicken pieces in batches for about 8-10 minutes. If the chicken pieces are thick, fry for 12 minutes or so. Take the pieces out and place them in a strainer. Fry your next batch.
- After you are done with all the pieces, fry the first batch again until gold brown and crispy to touch. Do the same for the rest. *this double-fry process makes the chicken pieces become quite crunchy on the outside, whilst moist on the inside*
- Now for the sauce, heat 2 tbspn of vegetable oil and fry the garlic and chilli peppers until fragrant.
- Next, add the soy sauce , honey and vinegar and let it simmer for less than a minute.
- Add the sugar and mix well. Taste your sauce and adjust accordingly. Remove from the heat.
- Now, for the last part, mix in the chicken pieces with the sauce and coat well. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top … and you’re done!